The Paperless Press
Weekly Digest 66
WEEKLY DIGEST #66
Find us on Instagram!- @thepaperlesspress
We are also on Youtube- The Paperless Press
Support us on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/ThePaperlessPress/
In this digest-
1. The Funniest Show in the World
2. Happiness Quotient from around the world
3. Did you Know?
4. Entertainment Quotient
The Funniest Show in the World!
By: Mihir Rao
After watching Modern Family episodes many times, it’s safe to say that I have got a fair knowledge of the show, and this is my review.
Just before I start: This review is just my opinion, and not fact. Also, this review may spoil a bit of the story, so proceed with caution.
(Photo credit-Rotten Tomatoes)
Modern Family, in my opinion, is one of the most well executed shows. I started watching this comedy show thinking that I would just get a few laughs, but the show positively surprised me, and watching the entire show for the first time was an unforgettable experience.
But leaving the review at this, would not explain why I like this show so much, so let me explain some key parts of the show that make it so memorable:
1 . Characters:
The characters in this show are very well thought out. All the characters in this show have very distinct personalities, which makes watching the show a very interesting experience. For example, Phil is the quintessential father, who loves his kids, and loves to goof around and have fun, but all his children don’t quite match that description. Haley, the oldest child, is obsessed with fashion and takes a while to grasp a concept. Alex, unlike her sister, is extremely smart and loves school. Luke, the youngest child, is Phil’s protege, and spends a lot of time with his dad, and does not appear to be the sharpest crayon in the box.
2 . Storytelling:
The storytelling in this show, to put it simply, is amazing. The entire show feels alive, and every episode leaves you wanting more. There are actually three different families: Jay, his wife Gloria, and his stepson Manny; Jay’s daughter Claire, her husband Phil, and their three children; and his son Mitchell, Mitchell’s husband Cameron, and their daughter Lily. This makes for many interesting storylines, all happening simultaneously, sometimes even overlapping (I will explain this part a little later). Also, this show is a mockumentary, which means it also includes interviews of the characters in between the episodes, to explain the story a bit better.
3. Connection to Reality:
Though this show may seem a bit too complicated and fantastical, it’s actually very grounded. Even though the characters have such a variety of personalities, it does not seem out of the ordinary. Through its incredible storytelling, the show makes even ordinary things such as having a birthday party, or getting together and eating dinner very interesting!(photo credit- ScreenRant)
Like I explained in my previous article, continuity is a very important concept. But comedy shows don’t have an overarching storyline, so they don’t need continuity, right? Not at all. Modern Family uses continuity in its storylines and executes it beautifully. Things like having classmates mentioned once in an episode come back much later in the show, little personality traits of a character kept in the show and not just used as a plot device in one episode make Modern Family great.
The comedy in this show is absolutely incredible! The jokes in this show are subtle, and not including a laugh track was genius on the creators’ part, since it kept the show realistic, and made the viewers feel connected to the characters.
In all, this show is a must-watch. The jokes, balanced by the groundedness of the story, make watching Modern Family an extremely fun experience. The show remains fresh even though it’s over eleven seasons, and can be rewatched as many times as you want. My final score?
10/10, and I definitely recommend this show.
By: Agastya Rao
1. COP26 may not have been the dazzling success we were hoping for, but where there is a will, there is usually a path ahead. Every new building in England will be required to install charging points for electric vehicles . The British Government is hopeful of about 145,000 new charging points being installed. By 2030, the UK will no longer sell new diesel and petrol cars and vans. This is the kind of green revolution that we at The Paperless Press wish to see in every country.
2. Indore in Madhya Pradesh was declared the Cleanest City in India for the fifth time in a row. In a country where many towns and cities have the ill-repute of being incredibly dirty, news like this makes us believe we can do better. We loved reading this news and sharing it with you.
3. A rare happy outcome of the Covid 19 pandemic has been an increase in the number of people who have brought home a dog. These pets have been used to seeing their humans for months, but are expected to go through separation anxiety as the humans go back to working at their offices. There’s a new invention that might change things for our pets. Inventor Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas has invented a DogPhone that can enable dogs to call their humans. The DogPhone happens to be a sensor inside a ball that triggers a video call from a connected computer every time it is moved. We can picture some exciting phone calls in a few lucky dogs’ futures.
4. Access to medicines has been a cause for concern throughout the battle against the Covid 19 pandemic. In news that will bring you joy, pharma giant Pfizer recently announced that it has signed a licensing agreement with the Medicines Patent Pool (a UN-backed public health organisation) that will allow their experimental Covid-19 pill (Paxlovid) to be available to low-income countries on a royalty-free basis.
5. A draft law has been published by the European Commission, with the aim of stopping products linked to deforestation from entering the European Union. If the draft law comes into effect, companies that sell certain products such as wood, soy, beef, palm oil, coffee and cocoa in the EU will be required to trace the origin of such products and show that they are not linked to deforestation. If a market as large as the EU can make this happen, it can inspire the rest of the world to follow suit.
By: Mihir Rao
1 . We at the Paperless Press have talked about NASA’s endeavours a lot, so here’s even more! NASA’s Ingenuity helicopter, as you may already know, is the first man made craft to fly successfully on another planet, and recently, it just made its 13th flight! Also, we got actual footage of the helicopter making its flight, recorded by none other than the Perseverance Rover itself! Although this helicopter was initially just a demonstration of technology, because of its success, it will now aim to study rock deposits belonging to the Red Planet.
2 . Turns out, reaching for a nice cup of tea or coffee in the morning may not be all bad for your health! According to a recent study, people who drank coffee or tea had a lower risk of dementia or even a stroke. However, do not take this as a go-ahead to drink 10 cups of coffee and tea a day, because research showed that people who drink more than 6 cups of coffee a day are actually at a higher risk of dementia.
3. It was previously believed that the first piece of land emerged from the ocean roughly 2.5 billion years ago, but new findings say otherwise! This new research suggests that the first beach didn’t appear 2.5 billion years ago, not 2.6 billion, not 2.7 billion, but around 3.2 billion years ago! However, the most special thing about this news is that the first beach may have emerged here in India! After analysing samples of the rocks in the Singhbhum region in Jharkhand, Scientists have come to a conclusion that the area existed above the ocean before 3.1 billion years ago.
Visit these pages to see some of our other endeavours!
Visit A Dogs Daily Antics to laugh your heart out with crazy captioned dog photos!
Visit The Chinappa Channel to see some quirky but nice videos that will make you roll with laughter
A Note To Our Readers:
We thank our readers for supporting us this past year. We truly hope you enjoyed this digest and we hope this put a smile on your face. Here at The Paperless Press, we strive to provide free,fun and positive news. We would be very happy to receive your feedback and receive guest submissions from our readers. We hope that you spread the word and enjoy reading our digests.
-The Paperless Press
We hope this issue brightened up your day!
Contact us at-
The Paperless Press ™
© 2021 The Paperless Press™ All Rights Reserved